Home Garden 13 Beautiful Flowers But Contain Toxins

13 Beautiful Flowers But Contain Toxins

by Marry Dell

Not every pretty plant has a pleasant disposition, there are a number of toxic flowers around us although they are very beautiful and attractive. And in the post today we want to share 13 Beautiful Flowers But Contain Toxins. No one is saying you should remove them or avoid them altogether. For the best, however, you should know the names of those flowers to avoid problems and become aware of what the consequences might be to your kids and pets.
13 Beautiful Flowers But Contain Toxins
These flowers look harmless to the naked eye, but they also contain toxins and poisonous substances that can be lethal. These plants might be lurking in your garden, hiding behind fragrant flowers and beautiful blooms. Are you ready to spend your time checking the names of these flowers with us?

#1 Daffodil (Narcissus)

Source: Narcissusflower

The bulbs are the toxic part of this popular and familiar flower. If too much ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, squeeze cases, tremors, and heart rhythm disorders.

#2 Azalea

Source: Flowermeaning

Both azaleas and rhododendrons are poisonous to pets. Flowers to leaves or stems can lead to nausea, abdominal pain, and difficulty in breathing if eaten.

#3 Lily of the Valley

Source: Istockphoto

The lily of the valley is very toxic, flowers, leaves, and stems should not be eaten. The plant contains cardiac glycosides, which act directly on the heart and cause vomiting, illusion, blurriness, and slow heart rates and can be fatal in some cases.

#4 Lantana

Source: Amazon

This flower is known for its intense fragrance and it also attracts butterflies. All parts of the plant contain liver toxins. Symptoms like depression, vomiting, fatigue, and liver failure are possible after ingestion.

See also  Creative Recycled Coke Bottle Ideas In The Garden

#5 Hydrangea

Source: Gardendesign

Hydrangeas contain a small amount of cyanide and can be lethal if ingested heavily. Although they are not dangerous for humans, ingestion of a specific amount of leaves or flowers can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy in pets.

#6 Wisteria

Source: Freedom-flowers

This flower has mildly poisonous, mainly to cats and dogs. Every part of it is poisonous, especially seeds. If only a few seeds are ingested they can cause mild abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and depression in the central nervous system.

#7 Morning Glory

Source: Trulyexperiences

Not all species of morning glory are poisonous but there are few, whose seeds are poisonous if swallowed. Morning glory contains the toxic called lysergic alkaloids, which cause medical signs like diarrhea, in-coordination, and liver failure if a large amount of seeds is ingested.

#8 Clematis

Source: Almanac

This flower is rather mild but toxic, clematis is poisonous. When touched or consumed, the toxin called anemonin (irritant glycoside) affects both pets and humans. It can cause dermatitis in some people after contact and mild burning sensation and an ulcer in the mouth if eaten. And while pruning clematis, care to wear gloves. It also affects the pets, and causes nausea and drooling. Clematis has a bitter taste, so pets don’t touch it!

#9 Calla Lily

Source: Thegardeningcook

Calla lily can be an excellent cut flower and looks beautiful, its leaves are edible after cooking. According to North Carolina state university, all parts of calla lily are poisonous and contain calcium oxalate crystals because of this, eating any part of the plant raw can cause swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat. Similar symptoms occur to the animals if eaten.

See also  A Step-By-Step Manual For Planting, Growing, And Harvesting Seeds Of Sunflowers

#10 Periwinkle

Source: Gardenersworld

It has mildly poisonous and contains a group of alkaloids. It is used to cure high blood pressure. Its excess consumption causes a drop in blood pressure and hypotension.

#11 Calotropis

Source: Ouriquesfarm

The latex of calotropis ooze out from the flowers and leaves that contain calotropis, which if contact with the eyes can cause blindness.

#12 Foxglove

Source: Gardenersworld

Foxgloves are used to prepare medicines, all parts of the plant are mildly poisonous, and contain digitalis glycoside, digitoxin, and deslanocide to use in heart medicine. However, if you ingest a particular amount of foxgloves it can cause headache, stomach pain, and fainting.

#13 Oleander

Source: Stillpointaromatics

Oleanders are charming, fragrant, and loved by homeowners. They bloom in white, pink, yellow, or red. But be careful if you have kids, just eating a meager amount of this toxic flower can be dangerous. Because all parts of oleander are extremely poisonous if ingested, even the smoke burned from its wood is toxic. Symptoms of poisoning include dehydration, fever, slow heartbeat, tremors and death is also possible.

You may also like

About Us

One Million Ideas is a content aggregator website that covers different topics, ranging from Home & Garden, Beauty, Fashion, to Make up. Our website brings to users unique ideas made from love and creation.

Decor & Design